The Minority Innovation Weekend (MIW) Summer 2021 Pitch Competition and Innovation Marketplace will showcase tech-focused startups that have been launched by a founder of color or by founding teams that include a co-founder of color.
- Each applicant should be:
- A U.S. citizen,
- From early stage tech-focused company. A tech-focused startup is a company whose purpose is to bring technology products or services to market. These companies deliver new technology products or services or deliver existing technology products or services in new ways,
- Has a founder of color or co-founder of color,
- Is a legal business entity headquartered in Maryland (Baltimore City and all Counties), Washington D.C., or Northern Virginia (e.g. Alexandria, Arlington County, City of Fairfax, Fairfax County, Falls Church, Loudoun County, Manassas, Manassas Park, and Prince William County),
- All selected applicants may be required to complete the PitchCreator Foundation Course (https://pitchcreator.com/courses-ceos/) prior to the pitch competition.
Tentative Timeline Of Events
- November 2020 – January 2021: Call For Startups Open
- February 2021: Participants Announced
- March 2021 – June 2021: Pitch Creator Foundation Course
- July 2021: MIW Summer 2021 Pitch Competition and Innovation Marketplace
Each participating team will be provided a virtual booth in the MIW Innovation Marketplace. The marketplace will allow MIW attendees and judges to meet each participating team and to learn more about each startup company’s innovation.
Pitch Competition Format
Each team in the Innovation Marketplace will have 3 minutes to pitch judges and potential investors. After each pitch, judges will be given 7 minutes to ask questions.
Pitch Competition Prize
- Grand Prize – $10,000